Sunday, January 18, 2009

Welcome to the Natty Ice Diaries


When discussing his film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", Benicio Del Toro said that a junky was a reflection of the state of society around him. The junky abuses himself with drugs or alcohol because society is too messed up to function in soberly. There is too much sadness. Too much pain. Too many problems.

Anyway, this blog is called "The Natty Ice Diaries" and it is product of a time where I find it difficult to function in our society without arming myself with some sort of alcoholic beverage.

Why Natty Ice?

Because Natty Ice (short for 'Natural ice') is the cheapest beer that also has the power to give you a real good buzz. And because I don't have a lot of money but like a really good buzz, Natty Ice is my beer of choice.

Why am I a Natty Ice junky?

Because our society (i.e. America), if you haven't realized yet, is somewhat in trouble. Frankly, I find it hard to believe that people DON'T realize this. There are people out there who truly believe that "God blesses America" and I just don't see how this is at all possible. When all signs point to our country going down the toilet I really don't see how people can think that God fully endorses our nation. If anything, the current financial crisis is a tell-tale indication that God is not necessarily an advocate of the 'American way'...otherwise we wouldn't be faced with such an imminent disaster.

But don't get me wrong here: this blog is not going to be all dark and depressing. And I don't want to be accused of being unpatriotic or whatever, because I really do love the "idea" of America - that is, the concept our forefathers envisioned in 1776. Freedom really is awesome (although I would argue that most people fear and loathe it). However, I think one must admit that our country has some serious issues right now, and if they aren't discussed openly, they are only going to get worse.

So this is is a blog where I will talk about these issues openly...but with the help of Natty Ice, as it is much too painful to come face-to-face with our country's problems without anestheticizing oneself with a decent amount of cheap booze.

I encourage comments and criticisms and insights and all that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment